In 2005 I discovered 12 sided Dodecaheron Cube Calendars and have been making them every year.
Putting It All Together
I found the easiest way to glue the cube was with the glue gun as the glue stuck immediately, it just took too long for regular glue to set. The finished cube will be around 3 inches.
If you plan on varnishing the cube, the printed page has to be spray varnished (Walmart or craft stores carry it) before it is being cut out. Then once the cube is together regular waterbased varnish can be brushed on, otherwise the ink will run.
- Print the calendar on card thickness paper or it will too flimsy
- Plug in the glue gun so it will be warmed up when you are ready
- Spray varnish the page
- Cut out the calendar
- Score all the lines that will be bent with a stylus
- Bend all the score lines you will probably find that you missed one or two, just score them now
- Now start gluing the flaps on the January side, attaching either February or May to June. Now work around the circle.
- On the December side you will notice that November doesn’t have any flaps, so that will be the last month to glue.
- Once only November is unglued place a dab of glue on all the remaining flaps and carefully align November on them.
- Now the cube can be varnished with waterbased varnish. I usually use 2 coats.
After numerous comments about why the calendars start with Sunday, I have to say that I just don’t have the time to create 2 sets of calendars.
► 2016 Cube Calendars are now available, pick your design ◄
Some Explanation about the Calendar
I had to totally recreate the calendar from scratch as I could not work with the PDF files. Once I found the hex shape I could get to work recreating the layout. I found out that it was easiest to work the with original size of the shape and then when I was ready to print to just tell the program to fit it on the page.
Putting the shapes together was easy once I realized that every one was rotated a minimum of 36°. The same rotation factor worked for the month text. Next I created the flaps. Once it looked ok, I separated the background shapes from the text. Then I floodfill the background with different colors or images.