Late in 2003 I decided to create another garbage can lid mask. This time I used pale blue Rubbermaid garbage can lid. I had no design in mind and just went with the flow. This time I have now a digital camera so I could show the progression of my work.
First I primed the lid with a mixture of semi-gloss white paint into which I had mixed some drywall compound. I gave I two coats and let them dry well.
Now I had a good look at the lid and decided on how to implement the curves of the lid.
I used my flexible ruler to create the center design and everything else just kind of followed. The design is painted with acrylic craft paints.
Then I decided to use a black marker to make a line where the different colors met. It looked to bare so I decided to use fabric paint to make dots. First I made the dots beside the black lines as can be seen in the green forehead area, then I realized placing the dots on top of the black lines was the way to go.
The painted mask looked ok, but it lacked character. So I applied one coat of water-based varnish. That was better, but still nothing spectacular. So I mixed some black paint into the varnish and rubbed it on the mask, wow now that gave it character. I am very pleased with the result.
This mask has a much more feminine look than my first mask.