With all the craft things I make, I have nothing to enclose in a letter to send to my friends and relatives to show them what I do. So I set to work and came up with this lightweight idea that is only 4 inches in diameter and fits nicely into an envelope.
The first idea in 1999 was to use those clear margarine tub lids, then in 2002 I began using useless CDs. From past experience I find that the CD version makes more sense and is more durable.
Margerine Tub Lid Instructions
- I took a clear margerine top and measured its dimensions with the rim cut off.
- In a graphics program I wrote down the text to fit the size of the lid and printed it out.
- I placed the lid over the text and traced it with a thin tipped black marker.
- Punched a small hole in the top.
- Painted the backside of the lid with whatever came to my mind.
- Traced the word “HUG” with fabric paint and added other dimensional effects.
- Finally I varnished the front and back
Graphic Design Hug
This image labeled ‘graphic design hug’ came about because I found it quite difficult to craft the item. So I sat down at the computer and created one with a graphics program.
It is August 2002 and my twins birthday is this month and I wanted to come up with a unique birthday card. So I reused my “how do you send a hug” idea, but this time I created the design and printed it out on glossy photo paper and then glued it on top of a CD. It came out really well, so that I went ahead and created one with ‘thinking of you’ instead of ‘happy birthday’. I made the design both in a graphics program and in MS Publisher just to see if it would work in both. The one in the graphics program had extra filters done on the text and made it look more 3D. I also took the design and shrank it down to fit inside a metal frozen juice lid, makes it sturdier.
Hug Fan Album
Take 4×6 inches photo paper and cut it horizontally in half so it is 2×6 inches. Punch a hole in one end and use a split clip to hold it together.
Scrapbook a hug design on it or create a graphic and print it on the paper before you cut it and create this fan album. Now send it in the mail.